Sunday, August 06, 2006

Performance Boost!

Having spent most of the day indoors at the computer, I looked outside at 5pm and realised what a wonderful afternoon it was! Just right for a short ride out before my other half got home. It was also a chance to see how effective my new flyscreen is. This small screen is only eight inches high - it looks like it does nothing, but Piaggio have designed it well and it fits in with the style and curves of the bike. This screen is meant to make a significant performance improvement, and boy it does!

vscreen

The Granturismo 125 is not the fastest scooter you will come across! It is big and heavy, and shares the same engine as plenty of other bikes which all tend to be lighter or more streamlined. My GT struggles to exceed 60mph, which is fine in the city, but limiting on the open road. I fitted the screen last week, so today was the chance to find if it really makes a difference.

I pulled onto the A3 at Kingston and acceleration felt very smooth - passed under the Hook Underpass, acceleration still very smooth - for once the needle didn't stop at 60, it didn't stop at 65, it carried on rising until 70! A 15% increase in top speed from a small piece of plastic! Unbelievable but true!

Having very quickly got to the Esher turn off, I left the A3 and took a very pleasant ride through Esher and Thames Ditton - I returned via Hinchley Wood and back onto the A3. The weather was great, the traffic was great, the increased performance was great! 65 quid well spent!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow !

Just stumbled across this post by accident (looking for a Scooter shop near Thames Ditton) and I have exactly the same bike ! I thought I was looking at a picture of mine - same colour, fly screen everything.

Have you still got yours ? I was surprised when you said in the first part of your post that you struggled to get to 60. I regularly get to 70 when I come off the A3 onto the A309 - but maybe that's because of the fly screen ? Do you really think it makes that much difference ?

Anyway - keep an eye out for me. I commute every weekday from Lewisham to Thames Ditton.

Best wishes,

Andrew