Thursday, August 09, 2007

Piaggio X9 250 SL

A review of my current bike, which I have had since mid June.



2004 Piaggio X9 250sl - Lemon Yellow

Two months, 2000 miles.

On the way home from passing my test I dropped into my local dealers to see what they would offer me in part-exchange on my Vespa. I was very impressed with the offer I got and snapped up a three year old X9, a bike I know a lot about, as the Stig has had one since 2003.

Cosmetics


Personally, I have always liked the looks of this maxi-scooter. The lines from the front look very much like any touring motorcycle, and even from the rear it doesn't look too much like a typical scooter. The bike is large enough and plastic enough to get loads of respect from car drivers, other scooter riders, and even sports bike riders who probably don't realise until too late that it is a scooter.

Storage

Having been spoiled by the GT the underseat storage does seem small, but it is easily big enough for a full-face helmet plus armoured trousers, or several bags of shopping, a twelve pack of larger or whatever.

Speed

The Honda 250 in this model of X9 is not a very sporty engine. The bike takes off only a little faster than the GT, but acceleration in the 20-60mph bracket is much better with useful overtaking acceleration when travelling at speeds up to 50. Top speed is not outstanding - it comfortably gets to an indicated 70, and then bogs down a bit. The digital dash keeps track of maximum speed so I know I have done 85 mph on it.

Handling

This bike is incredibly easy to ride unlike the GT which handled fine, as long as you worked at it, the X9 just instantly goes exactly where you want without you having to think about it. Very steady in turns, very quick to stop. The linked braking system means the bike can be braked when banked in turns without any risk of the front locking up and doesn't even upset the turn meaning that even if you make a mistake, the bike is very forgiving. Despite being a heavy bike the centre of gravity is very low meaning the bike is very easy to handle, especially at low speeds where you can keep your feet up when almost stationary.

Economy

Having done a lot of London commuting along with several long weekend runs the economy seems pretty constant regardless of the sort of riding at 70mpg. This means the bike does about 200 miles before the gauge gets into the red zone. The service interval is 6,000km, but additional oil changes are required at 3,000km. With these regular oil changes these Honda engines can last over 40,000 miles. The oil changes and gauze cleaning can be done yourself easily, which can make servicing much cheaper. The belt should last 12,000km, but my girlfriend's X9 did 18,000km on the original belt before it was changed. Unfortunately the belt on the Honda engine in these early X9s are pricey and can double the cost of a service.

Comfort

When I first rode it I was a bit disappointed with the comfort. Other riders had told me how riding an X9 was like riding an armchair. Instead I found the backrest uncomfortable and the leg room cramped. I was used to the bench seat on the GT which meant I could sit as far back as necessary, rather than fitting into the bike as made. However, over time my body has bent into shape and I now find the X9 very comfortable for longer rides. The adjustable screen is a major enhancement and ensures a good view over the screen whilst most of the wind and buffeting goes over your head.

Reliability

Unlike the last two bikes which were bought brand new - this one was three years old with 18,000 miles on the clock. The dealer had serviced, MOT'd, fitted new belt and rollers, new air filter and new rear suspension and provided a six month warranty. Shame this didn't stop me running out of petrol on my first commute because the fuel level sensor didn't work, or being unable to go for a ride on one of the few dry days in July because the battery failed. The Dealer, Ewell Scooter Centre can't be faulted though - they fitted a new fuel sender and replaced the battery after checking the charging circuit, all at no charge to me. The right front brake got a bit noisy after 1,200 miles, turned out to be worn out pads, which were easy to change myself.

Commuting

Despite being bigger than the GT it is actually much easier to filter riding the X9. It is less twitchy so is easier to steer reliably into small spaces at low speed than the Vespa was. Weather protection is much better, as is visibility and road presence. Vehicles of all types see you coming and get out of the way. Fuel economy on commuting runs is also significantly better then the Vespa, whilst other running costs are about the same.

General Riding

The bike is much better suited to out of town riding than the Vespa - more capable of motorway/dual carriageway speeds, more stable on loose services, and generally much less tiring over long distances.

Fun

In some ways it is less fun than the Vespa - the predictability and steadiness make riding the bike a little less of an adventure than I wasused to. But the predictability and steadiness, along with the greater presence and visibility mean I feel much safer riding it. That means I go places and ride in ways I would not do on the Vespa so overall I am getting much more fun out of this - as indicated by the speed at which then ext oil change approaches.

Value

As this bike cost me less than £200 after I part exchanged my Vespa, along with the better economy, and that fact that the Vespa was just about due for another service means the bike hasn't really cost me anything, but is much superior to the GT.

X9s are easy to pick up cheaply, and well maintained ones run on to good mileages. Unfortunately they can be prone to electrical and other faults that can be expensive, and some part, like the digidash and the drive belt are expensive. So the bottom line is that you can get a good deal as long as you make sure you are not buying a lemon. I good service record, or a good inspection is important. I only bought this one because it had new belt and suspension, otherwise a bike of this mileage could get expensive very soon.

What would I change?


The engine could do with a bit more life - the later X9 250s (the Evo model) has a different engine with more go - but mainly I would change the seating position slightly. The seat needs to be able to go back further if there is no pillion passenger. I would also change the mirrors - they look huge and well placed, but give a very poor view of what is directly behind you unless you spend ages moving them around and put up with your body blocking half the view. I also find the speedo to be a bloody long way away! At 5'10" I can see it over the digidash, but I understand some people have trouble seeing it at all.

Overall

These bikes were sold as premium long-legged commuters and that is exactly what they are. They are perfect for the 25 mile round trip I do, and could easily work well for a commute three times that. Well designed for motorways or dual carriageways, and spacious and protective enough to make sure you get to work dry and tidy, and get home with your shopping. They are getting a little long in the tooth now, but they can be snapped up for not a lot of money and are well worth considering for the longer commute with a little spare for the weekend jaunts.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Might have to go for a test ride of one of those machines. Great review though!

Anonymous said...

very good review indeed ...im getting one!

Anonymous said...

I have had one for four years brought new 250 evo 2005 apart from the rust issues not a bad bike but the suzuki burgman is a better bike

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for review..

Tony said...

I bought my lad a used x9 250 y plate but has started to drag and not want to pull. We stripped and serviced the front brake calipper which although was a good job didnt help. The scoot has only done 6k. Could anybody suggest whats wrong ! thanks. Tony

Giuliano said...

Follow the link to the X9 Owner's Club you will probably get the help you need there.